Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Human Resources

As one an introduction point, my professor said this to us: "This class will ruin you."

Initially, I thought she meant that my life will hence forth be consumed with an obsession to watch every move a person makes while performing his/her job.

Now I know this obsession is beyond that. Not only are you watching their every move, but suddenly just then mention of what you're doing turns the obsession contagious and then it has gone viral. Soon, everyone who knows even a tad about the assignment will subconsciously observe the cafe workers, the dancing sign advertisers, and even the teachers.

Michelle was the waitress that night. She is very attractive and has an uncanny resemblance to Sofia Vergara (Gloria, on ABC's Modern Family).

I must say though, she was extremely pleasant to observe and quite often... distracting. I found it hard to concentrate as I wondered things like whether or not her assets were "natural", or what the purpose of her working there was (other than trying to make a quick buck by merely being attractive with a specific build), or how old she was.

As the night progressed, I am more than enamored and it turned into something like pity. She worked so terribly hard when she really didn't have to and did all these tasks while the other girls sat and lounged and giggled at the Monday Night Football goers. Suddenly, she wasn't just another waitress, but an actual person.

I don't think I've ever felt like that about a person who was waiting on me. Because to me, they hold the power. They get paid to serve me but can simply spit on my food if they felt like it. And hence in my mind, just another soulless wage worker. But Michelle, poor Michelle, worked her patooty off even though it was clear that it was not required of her to do so.

This was not the way in which I expected to be ruined by this course.

Love Always,
Me

1 comment:

  1. awww i know what you mean
    i <3 michelle

    she was the hottest one there too

    ReplyDelete